Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Audio-Phile? (Thing #22)

I tout myself as a bibliophile, but rarely do I listen to audiobooks. The only time I have access to a CD player is in my car, and I'm usually too distracted or focused on driving to concentrate on a book. My only exception is on extended road trips, usually with my husband, when I can pop in the CDs and listen to my heart's content. But even then, it's usually books that I've already read in print form. Listening to books reminds me a bit of being read to as a child, and having a good narrator makes all the difference. From the limited number of books I've listened to, Jim Dale, who narrates the Harry Potter series here in the US, is one of the best. Especially as more and more characters are added. You even forget that a man is providing the voice of Hermione!

So anyway, when I saw NetLibrary listed as a 'thing', I was both intrigued and excited. It was another online discovery for me, and one that I look forward to utilizing with my new MP3 player. :-)

There seems to be a pretty good selection, and I immediately saved The Night Watch (unread), The Other Boleyn Girl (read), and The Last Days of Dogtown (unread) to my 'Favorites' (a very useful feature, by the way). But the one I chose to download was 'Three Men in a Boat' by Jerome K. Jerome, a very British, very funny account of a Victorian-era trip down the River Thames. I read it years ago, and am quite excited to listen to it and laugh all over again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home