Saturday, August 26, 2006

Wonderful and Scary (Thing #5)

Some rather large spiders have suddenly taken up residence around my house. A quick look into my field guide shows that this is the aptly named Black and Yellow Garden Spider. So far, I've noticed one out front and three around the back deck. They're quite beautiful but also frightening due to their size. I have a grudging respect for spiders, mixed with a good dose of fear. I'm not as scared of them as I used to be, and have adopted a 'live and let live' attitude toward them, for the most part. These spiders have a weird zip zag pattern near the center of their web - very strange.

On a side note, I've finally figured out how to post an image directly from Flickr into a blog post. Instead of copying the url from the image link, I right click on the image itself, select 'copy image location' and then paste that into the url entry field in the blogger 'add image' option.

2 Comments:

At 4:09 AM, Blogger dancechica said...

First time surfing in. :-)

Eek! I am totally archnophonic! LOL.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger sukhavabode said...

After having been bitten by a Brown Recluse spider (and getting quite sick) at 6 years old, I don't like spiders at all!! But knowing that these garden spiders are beneficial to have around, I don't mind them -- especially since they don't lurk in dark, hidden places like the Brown Recluse (shiver).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home